OIO Oat Flakes have been produced specifically for brewing. The process of gelatinizing makes the starches readily soluble and digestible by the naturally occurring enzymes in barley malt. This allows the flakes to be incorporated directly into the mash with other grains.
- Because flakes have a large surface area and are pre-cooked, they hydrate and disintegrate quickly. Filtration time will be normal.
- There is no need to mill Oat Flakes. However, they can be put through the mill if that is the easiest means of adding them to the mash.
- Oat Flakes have been dehulled before being cooked and flaked. Although the flakes are readily attacked by the malt enzymes, yield will be slightly lower than with other Pregelatinized Flakes.
- Oat Flakes have a very distinctive “sticky” mouthfeel which is noticeable even when used in small amounts.
- Use 5-25% of the total grist for an Oatmeal Stout.
- Use a small percentage in Belgian Wit Beers.